Thursday, September 4, 2008

How My Dogs Are Just Like Kids (part one)

I mentioned in my last post how I feel like dogs are just like kids. I figured I needed some more explanation about that. So, here we go. Part One of an undetermined-length series entitled, "How My Dogs Are Just Like Kids".

1. If you don't take them out for exercise, they might just drive you crazy.

This is something I knew about early, because of the Dog Whisperer. But I didn't really start putting it into practice until I had both boys. See, if Gus bugged me for a little while, I'd go outside and play with him for a little while, putting my life on hold. But, now that I have two, I'm a little busier with other things (like finding a job). And so for a little while, I let the daily walk become a weekly trip to the dog park. But they were driving me more and more NUTS when at home!! Literally running around my legs while I'm in the kitchen, zooming around and around the dining room table, bumping into my work and spilling stuff everywhere. I love them, but this was too much for me. So, I've started taking them to the park every day. The rest of the day is a breeze!! They are mellowed out, because they party hard while at the park! Plus, I get some exercise in the process.

2. Boys are only happy if they are smelly, wet and dirty.

No matter how many times you tell them to stay out of the mud or water, they go in anyway. Especially after they've just taken a bath. This is their FAVORITE time to go jumping into a mud puddle, or rolling in goose poop in the backyard (okay, maybe little human boys don't do that). As a mom, you're happy that they're so happy. But you're also frustrated, because the bath itself is enough of a process!

3. You'd better raise your first one right.

Because when your second one comes along, (s)he'll copy everything the first one does, whether you approve or not. (S)he'll watch and observe your other one, gauge your reaction to what they do, and then act accordingly. If you raised your first one with all the strict rules you could think of, then as they got older you relaxed about them (because they could handle the freedom), your second one will take advantage and act like a fool. Because they didn't get the strict rules--they just get the relaxed parent. Hopefully this lesson doesn't end up biting you in the butt (literally).

4. Get your kids out in nature.

They'll learn to appreciate it and respect it only if they understand it. There's no better moment as a mom than when you see one of your kids getting wide-eyed wonder out of something in nature (see the pear story). Plus, if they're outside, they're probably MOVING AROUND. If your kid turns out to be a fat, spoiled, crazy beast, ask yourself if you've taken him outside recently--or if they've spent most of their childhood learning how to sit in front of the TV.


5. When you raise your kids right, they live happier lives.

When I see my boys playing together, I know that I'm doing a good job raising them. They play well together, they help each other out, they don't go anywhere without the other close beside. Basically, they're best friends.

7 comments:

Sara said...

Fun fun! Love the pictures. What park is this? Reminds me of Sugarcreek (ah, the memories).

Allison (Dog Mom) said...

It IS Sugarcreek. Amazing how low the creek is, huh?

I took the boys on the "shortcut" back up to the parking lot--they were dragging me along!!

KC said...

Allison, These stories are great! Please keep blogging about your dogs, and thanks for your kind comments at the My Great Dane Blog .

Raising Princeton, my 4-month-old Dane pup, really reminds me of raising a child, too. He’s the first puppy I’ve had since I was a child myself, and he’s much more like a baby than the adult Dane I had before. I was thinking that he’s like an oldest child because I’m obsessing about every phase of his growth and making mistakes that make me think, “I won’t try THAT again if I ever get another puppy.” For example, we imagined that he could sleep in our bedroom all night without a crate. No way! If we let him loose in anywhere in the house unsupervised, he chews everything!

KC said...

PS - I added your blog to my list of favorites.

lauren said...

your dogs are so cute! :)

Pamela said...

love the photos!

Amber said...

I totally agree! :) Very cool blog!