Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Things you learn the second time around...

Having two dogs is SO much like having two kids. Yeah, yeah, I know the responsibility is a lot less, and other stuff. But, there are so many ways in which they are similar. (I might start highlighting some of those ways in some future posts.) I've done the dog comparison several times before. After all--for my cousin's bridal shower a couple of years ago, I compared having a husband to owning a new dog!

Anyways. Often, you indulge your first "child". You pay extra close attention to their whines, you baby them, you concentrate on them every second of the day, because you want to make sure they get taken care of. By the time your second "child" comes along, you've learned a few lessons. The second one rarely gets the same face time that the first one did. Sometimes, though, it ends up being a good thing.

For example...

...if you allow your first "child" to sit on your lap for long periods of time, snuggling and cuddling, its fine for a time. In fact, its downright sweet. They're so cuddly and warm, and so precious. You don't want them to think you don't love them ultimately, so you hold them as close as you can, because you know they won't be small forever.

Which is the problem. Because when they get to be 70 POUNDS, they still think sitting on your lap is okay.And it most certainly IS NOT. Sorry, Waldo. You're not getting to sit on my lap when you're a puppy like Gus did. Yes, I'm sure it's not fair, because "your brother got to". But when you're 150 POUNDS, I'm pretty sure you'd crush my kneecaps.

Just go ahead and think I'm a bad, unfair mom. That's just fine with me.

3 comments:

Stephanie said...

I can't believe how big Waldo is already! You are so cute w/your dogs...they are both so gorgeous. I hope you & Nick are doing great!

Jen said...

that was a fabulous post. the photos were what made it :) how adorable.

Abz&Chels said...

Its funny, Chels is 9 months and still trys to curl up in my lap... Looking at your photo I wonder how I will cope with two. Chels is all bony legs, like a gangly foal...