Friday, October 17, 2008

Making Strides for Breast Cancer

Tomorrow, Waldo and I will be continuing a family tradition of walking in our local Making Strides for Breast Cancer walk. For those of you who don't know, both my grandmother and my mother have battled breast cancer. My mamaw survived the disease, and passed away in January from a non-breast cancer related illness, and my mom is battling her 4th round of the disease.

Making Strides is a walk that benefits the American Cancer Society. My family and I have walked for the last 4 years or so. Last year, I took Gus with me. This year, however, I'm going to take Waldo. Nick is going to be helping a friend out at a farm, so Gus will be going with him. It's only supposed to be 40 degrees tomorrow morning, though, so I thought I'd make Waldo a t-shirt to "advertise" why we're walking, and to help Waldo keep warm. I also made some bandannas to wear for both he and I. Here are the final products:

I've heard a "rumor" that there aren't supposed to be dogs, but I'm ignoring the rule. No one ever said that last year, there were a bunch of dogs, and Gus is WAY more hyper, so I think we'll be okay.

3 comments:

Abbey said...

Laugh, didnt your mum tell you not to listen to rumours. Great cause, it seems now that Im constantly in contact with remarkable women dealing with breast cancer. Sending a bucket of positive vibes to your mum...

There is another Dane mum called 'M' who has a dog Piper, she is a breast cancer survivor and tireless worker for the cause. About 1/2 way down her blog she has some brilliant photos of her partner walking for breast cancer.

Cant wait to see yours "Go Girl!" proud of you & Waldo will do you proud.

Saint Lover said...

Best of luck tomorrow! You two are going to rock. Waldo is going to look so amazing in his tshirt and bandanna they wont be able to say no.

Sending lots of good thoughts your mom's way.

Pamela said...

Waldo is going in style! Love you and your Mom... cheering you on!