Monday, November 24, 2008

Poor Puppy.


Although the title of this entry is one of my favorite children's books, sadly it has nothing to do with how many toys Waldo owns. It has to do with a recurring problem that Waldo has--his skin.

When Waldo was 17 weeks, he had mange. Little red bumps over his chin, front legs, chest, neck and rump. Loss of hair all over--my poor balding baby. We treated it with weekly baths, a medicated collar, and some medicine from the vet--about a $200 visit. Thankfully, he was able to get over it, and had pretty good skin after that.

Well, something else has appeared. And it has appeared hard core. Flaky skin, losing hair, nasty red bumps and irritation. I feel so bad, because I know its uncomfortable for him--the spots are so itchy he's bleeding. We've been on antibiotics and topical cream for 2 weeks, with no result (well, with negative results--its only gotten worse). I've taken to not giving him the medicine and cream anymore. Just baths. With Christmas and Thanksgiving approaching, its not really feasible right now to go and have another $200 vet bill...especially since we went 2 weeks ago only to be told "it's allergies". I'm SO over the vet telling me that every time!!


p.s. On a positive note, Waldo made it 6 hours this afternoon with NO pee in his cage!! GOOD BOY!

9 comments:

Saint Lover said...

Hmmm I dont know if that looks like Allergies to me... it looks really ouchie though! You should join the big dogs porch (link on my blog) and see what the other dane owners think. You may be able to get some dietary advise as well.

Big hugs to your poor puppy!

Khyra The Siberian Husky said...

I hope some of the other humans and khanines rekhognize that and khan help woo!

Khongrats on the great khrating!

Hugz&Khysses,
Khyra

Amber said...

Oh Waldo baby...you poor thing! That looks miserable! It is SO frustrating hearing the same stuff from the vet, isn't it! Gees, if the creams and stuff aren't working by now then I just don't know. Have you switched laundry detergents or anything?? I think that with Nala it was the food...she has been hive-free since we switched but who knows. I hope you find the answer real soon and get some relief! I know how miserable it can be watching your fur kids suffer...let alone how miserable it is for them. ;) Good luck and keep us posted!

Amber & Nala

The FOUR Musketeers said...

Hope Waldo recover soon !

Mango said...

ICK!! I don't know where you live. Here in Master Chew Sits, we have dermatologists who are very expensive, but sometimes...

I had to go when I got the mange as a puppy.

Slobbers,
Mango

P.S. Have you contacted his breeder?

Maggie and Mitch said...

This looks so sore, Waldo! We hope it clears up for you soon!

Love ya lots,
Maggie and Mitch

Sunny,Scooter,Jamie said...

Mom had a blue dane years ago. She says e-mail her and she will give her best shot at possiblities.
Has that vet ever even taken a skin scraping? What do0es he eat?
Anyhoo-mom asks you to mail her.
Hugs
Sunny&Scooter
the texas sun dog at g mail dot com

Mindy Lu said...

PAW!! Waldo dude, that looks like a big hurty! I hope your mom finds what it is soon. PAW!! Max the Dude!

Abbey said...

Awe soft hugs Waldo... you must be at your wits end with the Vets....