Sunday, November 30, 2008

Waldo Update

So, we took Waldo to the emergency vet last night. He was just bleeding everywhere, and he had some new spots along his spine, which made us nervous about more open sores. He also has some new spots on his face--his right lip is all fat. Since I haven't felt comfortable with our vet (and since the last visit to our vet his spots have quadrupled), I wanted to take him in.

I was honestly worried that she was going to tell us that the best course of action was to put him down. With all the trauma to this major organ, I wouldn't have been surprised. She said its one of the worst cases she's ever seen. She thinks that there's an abcess of infection under the skin, and the body is working extra hard to try to fight it--his temp was about 104.5. Thankfully, she said that he's doing just what he's supposed to do--and that putting him down was definitely not something we'd have to consider immediately. She said if it continues to worsen, he'll probably need to see a dermatologist. We're just to continue doing what we're doing--giving him hydrotherapy twice a day to wash away blood/pus, Clavamox, Ivermectin, add some Benadryl to help him sleep. I've also added fish oil and Vitamin C as a twice-a-day regimen--thanks to all for the suggestions for that. We're giving it to my Golden, also. She also gave us a larger ecollar--dopey Waldo has such a giraffe-y neck, he needed one that is 21" long!

It's "funny"--although he doesn't look too much better, I feel better because she said we were doing things right, and he wasn't going to need to be put down anytime soon. The thought of losing him so soon was making me crazy.

Honestly, I don't think I would be doing very well if it wasn't for all of you thinking of us and giving me suggestions. I REALLY appreciate all of the suggestions and the help. I'll keep everyone updated.

13 comments:

Khyra The Siberian Husky said...

OH....

It is raining outside and now my mom is leaking inside -

Paws khrossed fur Waldo

AND lots of hugz&khysses khoming your way too!

Hugz&Khysses,
Khyra

Bob said...

Waldo is in our prayers! Let us know if you need anything.

Turbo the Sibe said...

We are wooing for you and Waldo!

The Daily Echo said...

We're a friend of Khyra's and wanted to let you know we're sending Sibe Vibes Waldo's way. It's hard to watch them suffer.
ECHO

Shmoo said...

Can you contact me about waldo. I may be able to provide you with some information that will help
Gimpydogscom@gmail.com

Meeshka's humon woman

The OP Pack said...

More of Khyra's furiends here. We are all thinking of Waldo and you and hoping he heals up soon.

Woos, the OP Pack

Rory (and Sara) said...

Waldo, get better soon so we can play!

Pamela said...

Allison, I feel so bad for you and your poor baby!! I'm thinking about you guys and hoping of a quicker recovery.

Maggie and Mitch said...

We're hoping that Waldo will heal soon with all the good care that you're giving him! Our paws are crossed!

Love ya lots,
Maggie and Mitch

Indy said...

Oh my goodness, poor Waldo! I'm so, so sorry that you and he are going through this! I'm guessing that the vet ruled out mange at this point.

Has there been any change in his stools? Runny stools, or diarrhea? Any gas? I'm just wondering if he's developed a food allergy. Food allergies can manifest as skin problems. I have heard of dogs that developed irritated skin and lost all of their fur due to eating things they were allergic to, like chicken.

If it's possible, you may want to see if you can find a holistic vet. You can find holistic vets here: http://www.ahvma.org/ and here: http://www.viim.org/findvets/vetlist.asp.

There is a test that your vet can do, you may want to ask about it. It's a new type of blood test for food allergies. My dog had it done, and I've talked to several other people who have used this test for their dogs and have had excellent results. It's by Veterinary Allergy Reference Lab, here is their web site: http://www.varlallergy.com/1.html?sm=54523. They are redoing their web site, but they used to have information about how food allergies can cause skin problems, or make skin problems due to environmental allergies worse.

I hope this helps. We are praying for poor Waldo!

Indy said...

Here is some more info on skin irritation and hair loss in dogs:
http://www.thepetcenter.com/gen/itch.html

This page is interesting, it lists breeds that seem to have a predisposition to have a mild case of demodectic mange as juveniles, and says there is strong evidence that that predilection is inherited: http://www.economicexpert.com/a/Mange.htm

This is another good site:
http://vetionx.com/wordpress/hair-care/common-causes-of-hair-loss-in-dogs

This site says that dogs who had a mild case of demodectic mange as puppies are more prone to have severe cases later on:
http://www.dogs.info/healthcare/skinproblems.html

"In the more severe form, which usually develops in dogs who have previously suffered minor cases, hair loss can occur in patches all over the body and might be accompanied by crusting, pain, enlarged lymph nodes, and skin infections."

Do you know if Waldo had demodectic mange as a pup, or another type of mange?

I hope this helps,
Kerry and Indy

Amber said...

Oh Waldo, me & Mom are so sad that you are sick! We are thinking about you and hoping you get better soon! I wish I could just give you a big, sloppy, puppy kiss right now! Please, please get better!

LOve,
Nala

Saint Lover said...

Oh honey! it looks awefully ouchie. Hopefully the antibiotics will do their job and he will be right as rain in no time.