Monday, December 8, 2008

Welcome Home!

We just got back last night from spending the weekend at my in-laws' house for Thanksgiving/Christmas. Waldo went with us, as no kennel would have taken him, and we didn't want to burden any of our friends with his extensive daily care. Poor Gus! He did alright--he stayed with his friend Gunner for the weekend, so he was happy.

Waldo is showing great improvement. He still has a long way to go, but his bleeding spots are down to a minimum. His skin is extremely flaky--a lot of the dead skin cells are coming off in chunks. His face seems to be the only real troublesome spot left--probably because he has a chance to lick it as much as he wants. At our most recent vet app't, Waldo was down 3 pounds. Not surprising, given the trauma he's been through the last couple of weeks. He's still within healthy weight, so I'm not too worried. He never stopped eating, even with his high fever, so I know he'll gain it back.

This is how Waldo stayed for most of the weekend:

He was in good spirits again, getting out the tennis balls and enjoying his treats more than ever. He was very interested in Bill, the in-laws' cat. That is, until Bill hissed at Waldo. Then he wasn't so interested.

When Waldo continually rubbed his face against the floor, we had to resort to this again:

You can see how thrilled he is about it!! The boys made fun of him all weekend about his "sweet hat".

I was so proud of him, though. He doesn't feel well, but he was still on his best behavior--m-i-l and f-i-l commented repeatedly about what a good dog he was. They also couldn't believe how much of a momma's boy he is! I guess I didn't realize it until we were at another house, but Waldo would follow me EVERYWHERE. He always had to have me in his sights. Pretty cute, actually. Warms a momma's heart.

Here we all are, in our family photo (minus one brother):

Hmm...have to work on the "looking at the camera" thing.

12 comments:

The FOUR Musketeers said...

Welcome Home Waldo !
Hope you won't be needing the e-collar anymore (:

Khyra The Siberian Husky said...

WALDO!

Woo did grrrrreat!

I will be sure to put in a good word with Stormy of The AO4 - she gives photo khlass lessons - and trust me - woo would be #1 in the khlass!

Nice pikhture of all those hoomans -

GREAT to see woo are feeling and doing better!

As for being a momma's pet - nothing wrong with that at all!

Hugz&Khysses,
Khyra

Amber said...

Oh Waldo, I'm so glad you are feeling better! I will keep thinking good thoughts though until you are all healed! You are too cute to be sick so hurry up and get better!;) At least you got to go with your Mom...how fun! I am a bit of a Momma's girl myself but when I am at my Nanny's I am ok to leave Mom's sight but just because my Nanny plays with me constantly! Bark at ya later!

Kisses,
Nala

A'Jay said...

Oh poor boy... you must be worried sick, or near exhausted..Did you find out what it was caused from? (sorry if i missed it)

The Army of Four said...

Ha roo! Way to not look at the camera, Waldo!
Wishing you well, handsome pup!
Tail wags,
Stormy

Pamela said...

I'm so glad he's getting better!

Pipa said...

Hi Gus, Hi Waldo!

I'm a 8 month old portuguese golden retriever named Pipa. I just LOVED your BLOG! It is fun, hilarious and your human has such a great literary vein!

I hope I can be your friend!

Waldo, hope you'll get better, real soon!


Woofie kisses,

Pioa

Maggie and Mitch said...

We're so glad you're coming along, Waldo! Your mom is going to need to get you a winter coat if you don't already have one!

Love ya lots
Maggie and Mitch

Simba said...

Oh, I hope he gets better soon. Just to let you know, my HM has created natural eared Great Dane keychains now! You just need to click on the secondary photo to see it! ;o)

wags,

Simba

Simba said...

whoops...here's the link:
http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=18495517

Dughallmor Beagles said...

Hi Guys! Thanks for visiting our little bloggy! Wow, you two are so cute, we have Goldie friends and Dane friends but none who live together....until now, and Waldo, you are our very first Harlequin buddy! Hope you're feeling better soon Waldo, that looks very itchy, good job your Mom had a lampshade handy!!
Slobbers xx

Dughallmor Beagles said...

Oops, you are a Harly aren't you? Or a Merle, not really up on our Dane colours, all our pals are fawn & brindle! We have a cat called Gus, he's a real pain in the butt!