Saturday, January 10, 2009

Waldo Update - 1/10/09

Waldo was sentenced with mange for the first time in August (if you've ever dealt with mange, you'll understand why I say, "sentenced"). The treatments were probably not what they should have been (and I was very uninformed about what should have been going on), and so the symptoms went away, but the cause did not. In November, his mange came back with a vengeance (you can check out posts in November for more info on that, or see pictures on this site).

After 2 months of treatment, his hair started to return, and he acted like himself again. I started noticing, however, several dry patches on his skin, and the hair started to fall out again. (I'm pointing to one of the spots, but you can see the other blotchy patches)


I took him to the vet on Wednesday for a scraping...and those durn mites are very persistent!! He still has mange. Grr...arrgh. The vet who was there on Wednesday wasn't sure of the next course of action, as he had already been through an entire bottle of Ivomec (the typical mange treatment), so he put in a call to a veterinary dermatologist for advice. We returned to the vet on Thursday for the treatment regimen. Waldo is back on antibiotics for some sores he continues to get occasionally. He will continue treatment with Ivomec, upping the dosage to 2ml. He was also given an immune support supplement, because the base cause of his recurring bouts of mange is an immunodeficiency disorder of some kind. So, here's a pic of Waldo's daily intake:

(from L to R) 2 ml of Ivomec daily, 3 tsp. of Canine Immune Support, 1200 mg of Fish Oil, 1000 mg of Cephalexin, 1000 mg of Vitamin C. Why do I feel like I'm taking care of an old man?

The vet said that she once had a dog that she had on Ivomec her whole life. I'm hoping that we'll be able to treat the problem in a more natural way, because Ivomec is not the cheapest treatment in the world ($75 for the bottle you see in the pic)! We've tightened our belts to the tightest spot already, and I've only been out of work 2 weeks.

I also am trying to get more weight on him. He's just under the "healthy" weight range for Great Danes his age, and he looks painfully thin, as you can see in the picture:

He eats like a horse (7 to 7 1/2 cups a day), and we had him worm-checked at the vets, as well, so he's fine on that front. I just think that his little body is working so hard to fight off this infection that he's not able to put any weight on (he's sitting at 83 lbs, when 85-100 is appropriate for a 9-month Dane). I know several of you Dane owners have some natural ways to put weight on your babies. Any suggestions?

The one consolation is that Waldo is acting fine. He is a joy to have around--in fact, right now he has his head on my lap as I type (seems to be a favorite pastime of his). He and Gus love to wrestle, play bitey-face, tug-of-war, and take naps together. I just want to make sure the outside matches the inside!!

edited to fix the ivomec dosage.

21 comments:

Khyra The Siberian Husky said...

Tank woo fur the pupdate!

Woo are surely a furry special Dog Mom fur taking such great khare of your special fella!

I know Gus is glad woo have him AND that he as woo too!

Paws khrossed fur him to get khompletely healthy - we khan see he's happy!

Hugz&Khysses,
Khyra

with love, Madison said...

Oh curses, Waldo! This really sucks! Two of our friends at the dogpark - one a giant one-year old Rottie - the Rottie gets dipped in some sulphur thing and then can't get wet during the week. His human says that it will take months and months for it to go away. We hope you get some relief!

AppleDebbie said...

Awww Waldo... be a good boy and take all of your medicine. I hope you feel better real soon!

Your Buddy,
Trooper

Stella said...

Hi there Waldo:

I'm sorry for all the grief you have had with skin problems.

My Mom wishes your Mom would write to her at letoile@arvig.net because she has some info to share.

Kisses,
Stella

Amber said...

Oh, I am so sorry this stupid mange keeps coming back...poor Waldo. :( I had never heard of Satin Balls...apparently it's a way to put weight on your doggies. Apparently you need to be careful feeding these though because they put weight on fast so you don't want to over do it. I really know nothing about it...I just recently read about them on the Danes down under blog. If you click on Chelsea on the sidebar of my blog it will take you there...maybe Abbey can tell you about them. :)

Amber

Shmoo said...

The human woman says to google "satin balls". Tasty and will plump him up... I suggest livergreat.

Meeshka

Nigel, Sola and Co. said...

Sending healing thoughts your way - you are doing a great job of caring...

Noah the Airedale said...

Awww poor Waldo. We hope the horrid mange goes away soon and he starts to get some weight on.
Aire-zen is on its way to you Waldo matie.

tailwags
Noah Willow Tess & Lucy

River said...

I hope that Waldo will be okay! He is a beautiful boy.

love & wags,
River

Mindy Lu said...

PAW! Hey Waldo dude, that is some pretty nasty stuff. I am so glad your mom loves you so much to help you with that. Take it from another handsome dude, mom's love can cure a lot of things, so just keep lovin on her. PAW- Max the Dude

mum of critters said...

Oh that poor guy - Hang in there Waldo.

Hey I don't know if this is an option for you but one of my dogs got it as an adult and my vet gave him a shot of something they use in horses that get it. She said it wasn't approved for dogs but she was concerned that he had it as an older dog and she knew that shot would kill it all (and it did). The shot was extremely painful to him but he was fine right after (no negative side effects)

UNFORTUNATELY, that was my first dog as an adult and I don't have the med records - I guess I could call the vets office to see if they still have his records to find out what it was. It would have been at least 10 years ago. But man it worked.

The key was it wasn't approved for use in dogs but I asked her if she'd use it on her dogs and she said yep so that's all I needed.

I love Danes - never had one but a friend does and she's the most wonderful dog (aside from my own of course). They have such a lovely character.

Maggie and Mitch said...

You're such a handsome boy, Waldo! We hope you nip this mange quickly! Our paws are crossed for you, buddy!

Love ya lots,
Maggie and Mitch

Mango said...

At least Waldo seems happy and energetic. He looks funny, though, the poor little dude. I hope you figure out what ails him.

Slobbers,
Mango

Gus, Louie and Callie said...

Oh you poor pup we sure hope they figure out how to take care of that. It is so sad to see you so thin...


Big Sloppy Kisses
Gus, Louie and Callie

HawaiianDane said...

Poor Waldo! Keeping fingers crossed that he can improve soon!! Huey & Higgins send him loads of Dane slobbers.

Huey used to be thin to when he was younger. Once he was neutered and over 2 years old he started to put on the weight. We switched foods over to Eagle Pack, following the Great Dane Lady (check out her website) feeding program, and it worked.

Check out Nzymes too. That might also help with the mange!

Raising Addie said...

We hope that Waldo's skin gets better soon!

It must be soooo uncomfortable.

Eat some extra treats, ok sweetie!

Kisses
Addie

Amber said...

My Mom says she wishes we lived closer too! My Mom used to live in WV, right next door to you...that's where her family lives plus she has lots of family in OH too! Way up north....Lorain, Elyria, & Jefferson....ever heard of them? She also wants me to ask you what you teach? She teaches Kindergarten and I love it when I get to meet all of her little students. They often drop tasty stuff and they love to give me pets. Have a great week!

Kisses,
Nala

Dino and Family said...

Oh dear! Big furry hugs to all of you! I have read that mange is a real pain! I hope Waldo will recover soon! I am sending healing vibes for you from Taiwan! Love, Dino

Behr Behr said...

I wonder if you could order the meds from the internet for cheaper (Foster& Smith or KV Vet maybe)?

Also, http://danesdownunder.com/ is using a type of snack (satin balls) that she said is popular for putting weight on danes. I've never tried it tho. We don't have that problem with Behr Behr at all. She would eat all day long if it were possible, and weigh as much as an elephant probably :)

Good luck, tho!!!!

Hang in there sweet Waldo.

Holly :)
http://behrrake.wordpress.com/

The OP Pack said...

Aww, poor Waldo. But he HAS come so far. Hopefully some continued treatment will do the trick. We don't have any suggestions for putting some weight on Waldo, but maybe some of your other furiends can help.

Sibe vibes continue for Waldo.

Woos, the OP Pack

Groomer Angie said...

I have a Bull Terrier that has that horrid demodex as well, I switched her to a raw diet when she was 6 months old and we haven't had a relapse of it yet (she's alomst 4 now) before I switched I had treated her with everything known to mankind, she was on the same regimen you have Waldo on and within 2 months of the switch, she had her beautiful coat back and no more outbreaks! Email me at vabullterrier @ aol.com (without the spaces of course) & I'll help you all I can.