Tuesday, June 8, 2010

An Open Letter to the EVC

Dear friends at EVC,

I just wanted to write you all to say thank you.  In November of 2008 my husband and I brought our Great Dane Waldo into the EVC on Saturday of Thanksgiving weekend.  When we came in, we really thought that you were going to tell us that there wasn't anything we could do.  We had been battling mange with him since August, and the mite had completely taken over his body.  When we came to see you, Waldo had almost no fur on his hind end or his snout at all.  To make matters worse, he had a large area of infected skin that was oozing blood and pus.  To say that I was distraught would have been an understatement.  We had taken him to our family vet just a couple of days earlier, and they brushed off his condition with medication, and no understanding.


When we came in, we were brought in right away, over many other pets that needed care, as well.  Dr. Czonka was patient and kind, and assured us that it was not the end for Waldo.  She gave us practical steps to take, and encouraged us that we WERE doing the right things.

I'm sure you get lots of stories where you help people by bringing their pets back to life in a dramatic way.  Ours is not that kind of a story.  In fact, I think Dr. C just told us to keep giving him baths, and gave us an ecollar.  But her kind demeanor, her understanding, her compassion for Waldo and for us were just what we needed at that time.  I am eternally grateful to the EVC for saving Waldo.  When he was given his final "all clear of mange" test from the vet that April, I knew I had you all to thank for it.  Thanks for all you do for pets in the area every day.  This is one Dog Mom who noticed.



Allison
Dog Mom to Waldo and Gus

14 comments:

Heather said...

Isn't it amazing when you find a vet who totally gives you their all and understands how you are feeling? I totally get that. I am moving away and am mostly sad about losing my vet. And I plan to get him a gift when I leave. Good vets are hard to find.

Tucker said...

What a great post. Poor Puppy Waldo, who would have known he had skin issues now? My Momma would have thought I was going to die if I lost my furs like that, she panics. Sounds like you have a good vet.

The Army of Four said...

Simply beautiful!
Tail wags,
Stormy

Dory and the Mama said...

A wonderful thank you....and a wonderful, healthy Waldo!

Smileys and Snuggles!
Dory, Bilbo and Jacob

The Two Country Poodles & Uncle Puppy said...

Wow Waldo you looked so sad. Glad you had expert care and got all better.


Wags and Licks,
Mollie Jo & Bobo

♥♥♥ The OP Pack ♥♥♥ said...

We remember those early days for Waldo too. what a beautiful letter!!! You all deserve a lot of credit for all the care and love and perseverance you gave him too.

Woos - Phantom, Thunder, and Ciara

Lorenza said...

EVC rocks!
Waldo looks sooooo great!
Kisses and hugs
Lorenza

Life With Dogs said...

Oh my that deserves a giant ♥. Lovely!

Mango said...

I had totally forgotten about Waldo's sickies because he is such a fine, full furred, handsome chap now. That EVC is great!

Slobbers,
mango

Dennis the Vizsla said...

What a great letter of gratitude. Waldo looks so good now!

mrd23 said...

Hi Waldo!
Oh it made me sad to see those pictures of you :(
I get mange too. I get the demodex kind, is that the kind you had?
When Mumma first took me home it was all over my body and all my hair was falling out. But it still wasn't as bad as yours - poor Waldo :(
Anyway, I am free of mange right now, and looking good just like you!
Although the vets told me that if I get stressed again it is likely to come back.
Its a lovely letter your mumma wrote!

your pal,
Digby

Ludo van Doggy said...

Waldo has done so well! Great letter, I hope you post it.

Mindy Lu said...

BARK! I am so glad your doctor friend helped you get rid of those ickies. It was so sad to see. You are very handsome and look so much like my brother Max. Mommy loves keeping up with you and your brother too. BARK! Sasha the princess

Mama Monster said...

Oh how I wish I had found your blog earlier!!! I am sort of an expert at treating Demo mange without Ivermectin (I work in dog rescue and we get so many with mange) which is probably what they gave Waldo... It works but is really hard on their organs!!! He looks amazing now! So glad it's cleared up!

~The Mama Monster